Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, We will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
The faucet is an often overlooked yet essential element in any kitchen or bathroom.
Among the various types available, deck mount faucets are a popular and versatile choice that seamlessly combines style and practicality.
In the article, we will walk you through what is a deck mount faucet, how to install it, the best deck mount faucets, and the pros and cons of a deck mount faucet.
Let’s get started.
What Is A Deck Mount Faucet?
A deck mount faucet is a type of faucet that is installed directly onto a horizontal surface, such as a countertop or sink deck.
It is designed to be mounted through pre-drilled holes in the surface, allowing the faucet body and handles to rest on top while the plumbing connections are concealed underneath.
Depending on the design and functionality, deck mount faucets typically have a single spout or multiple handles.
They are commonly used in kitchens and bathrooms, providing a convenient and space-saving solution for delivering water to sinks or basins.
How to Install a Deck Mount Faucet?
Installing a deck mount faucet may seem daunting, but with the right tools and guidance, you can successfully complete the installation process. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you install a deck mount faucet:
1. Gather the necessary tools and materials
- Deck mount faucet
- Adjustable wrench
- Screwdriver (Phillips or flathead, depending on the faucet)
- Plumber’s tape
- Silicone sealant
- Towels or rags
- Bucket or basin (to catch any water)
2. Shut off the water supply
Find the shut-off valves beneath the sink and carefully turn them clockwise to stop the water flow. If no shut-off valves are available, you should shut off the main water supply instead.
3. Prepare the sink
- Clean the sink thoroughly to remove any debris or old sealant.
- Place a towel or rag over the drain opening to prevent small parts from falling in.
4. Connect the water supply lines to the Faucet
Attach the hot and cold water supply lines to the corresponding water inlets on the faucet.
Hand-tighten the connections and then use an adjustable wrench to give them a quarter-turn to ensure they are snug.
5. Position the faucet
- Carefully position the deck mount faucet on the sink deck or countertop.
- Align the faucet holes with the holes in the sink.
6. Secure the faucet
- From beneath the sink, thread the mounting nuts onto the faucet tailpieces.
- Use an adjustable wrench to tighten the mounting nuts, ensuring the faucet is securely fastened to the sink.
7. Apply plumber’s tape
Wrap the plumber’s tape around the threaded ends of the water supply lines to create a tight seal.
8. Please connect the supply lines to the shut-off valves.
- Locate the hot and cold water shut-off valves beneath the sink.
- When connecting the water supply lines, it is important to make sure that you connect the hot water line to the hot water shut-off valve and the cold water line to the cold water shut-off valve. This ensures proper functionality and prevents any potential issues.
- Tighten the connections using an adjustable wrench.
9. Test for leaks
- Slowly turn on the water supply by opening the shut-off valves.
- Check for leaks around the faucet connections, water supply lines, and shut-off valves.
- If you observe any leaks, proceed to tighten the connections or apply the plumber’s tape as necessary.
10. Apply silicone sealant
- Apply a thin bead of silicone sealant around the base of the faucet where it meets the sink or countertop.
- Smooth the sealant with your finger or a caulking tool to ensure a neat, watertight seal.
11. Clean up and enjoy
- Wipe away any excess sealant or water from the sink surface.
- Remove the towel or rag from the drain opening.
- Turn on the faucet and check that the water flows properly from the hot and cold handles.
What Are the Best Deck Mount Faucets?
$220 on Amazon
$72 on Amazon
$64 on Amazon
$142 on Amazon
Pros and Cons of Deck Mount Faucets
- Easy installation and maintenance.
- Versatile design options.
- Improved water flow control.
- Limited space-saving options.
- Potential for water leakage.
- Compatibility limitations.
How is a deck mount faucet different from other faucet types?
Unlike wall-mount faucets installed on the wall and center-set/single-hole faucets requiring fewer installation holes, deck-mount faucets are specifically designed to be mounted on the sink or countertop.
Can I install a deck mount faucet on any sink?
Deck mount faucets require pre-drilled holes in the sink or countertop for installation. It’s crucial to check the compatibility of your sink and ensure it has the necessary number of holes for the faucet you choose.
Do deck mount faucets come in different designs and finishes?
Yes, deck mount faucets offer various design options and finish to suit various styles and preferences. You can find options in different materials, colors, and shapes to match your kitchen or bathroom decor.
Deck mount faucets are a practical and stylish choice for your kitchen or bathroom. With their easy installation, versatile design options, and improved water flow control, these faucets have gained popularity among homeowners and interior designers.
Whether you’re renovating your kitchen or bathroom or upgrading your current fixtures, considering a deck mount faucet is a worthwhile choice.
Due to their extensive array of design options and user-friendly features, deck mount faucets can enhance the appearance and ambiance of your space while ensuring dependable water flow control.
So, don’t hesitate to explore the world of deck mount faucets and find the perfect one for your needs.
Upgrade your sink or bathtub with a stylish and functional deck mount faucet, and enjoy the convenience and elegance it brings to your daily routine.